Welcome!

Work hard, ride easy and listen to your horse!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRWgG-eGnL0



Comet's Story











Monday, October 8, 2012

Comet Gets His First Blue Ribbon!

Hi everyone! Sorry for not updating and being pretty much dead, but I figure the same old posts can get boring so therefore I really only update when something interesting happens! However Comet and I have made a big change in our direction. I originally wanted him to be a western pleasure horse (not the AQHA dragging, dead type, just the old way of an actual working pace and relaxed) and a gaming horse, however I found out he excells as more of an english horse. He has pretty, extended movement and a higher, collected head set. So I believe we're going to start working on dressage/english pleasure and jumping (since I have used a kimberwick instead of a snaffle, he doesn't get so hot-headed anymore!) and then just do gymkhana events for fun. Although I started out english, I enjoy gaming events more than anything, but I just have to face that that is just not him. Don't get me wrong, he enjoys it, but he just doesn't have the speed for it. Anyway, Comet and I went to our first 'real' show on September 30th. Granted he's been to about 3 shows, but all of those were fun and didn't have any serious classes. This wasn't a high class show, but it was still an open show that you had to have show clothes for. The competition was extremely difficult since they had record turn out, there was about 20+ people in every class. We went in almost every possible english class but didn't really place in anything due to such high competition (and the judge was an Arab/QH person). We did do the hunter hack class, it was his first time jumping something away from home and more than just 1 at a time (there were 2 jumps in a row). We could have done a tad bit better but we were both nervous after seeing 2 people come off during practice and we didn't get a chance to go over them during practice. Either way I was proud that he actually went over them and didn't refuse/stop. Our last english class was the one we placed in, it was last chance open pleasure. There were only 5 people in it but a 1st is still a 1st. It's not so much the placing from the competition that matters to me, it's a significance of our confidence. In my mind he got a blue ribbon in all of our classes because having the journey we have endured he did the best he could possibly do. He looked like an actual show horse holding his head almost perfectly every time, not swerving into other horses, being consistent in his gaits and not screaming like an idiot....at least not in the show ring. Both his and my own confidence has strengthened in every aspect. Being so terrified of him 3 years ago to bringing him to an actual show amazes me in every way. He amazes me every time I see him and while we have our tougher days, every day is a gift. We also did get a 5th in poles, but we took it slow and there wasn't many people at all in there either. And of course there's a video ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awV8Zr5N0oE

No comments:

Post a Comment